RICHMOND, Va., March 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Energy and the Library of Virginia celebrated the achievements of five African-American leaders during the ninth annual "Strong Men & Women in Virginia History" awards program. The program honors prominent African Americans past and present who have made noteworthy and admirable contributions to the commonwealth, the nation and their professions.
"This year's honorees have dedicated their lives to serving their communities. Their leadership has provided an example for others, and their contributions have left positive and lasting impacts on society," said Bill Murray, senior vice president – Corporate Affairs & Communications, Dominion Energy. "Their actions and words have uplifted and inspired. We are honored to acknowledge their achievements and all they've done to improve the lives of others."
"The Library of Virginia is proud to partner with Dominion Energy in recognizing the accomplishments of African American Virginians from the past through the present day, "said Dr. Sandra G. Treadway, Librarian of Virginia. "The five honorees serve as powerful role models for the rising generation and remind us of the positive impact we can have in our communities."
This year's honorees are:
- Krysta Jones – Arlington
Political Activist & Mentor
- Dr. Lerla G. Joseph - Richmond
- L. Louise Lucas - Portsmouth
Virginia State Senator
- Stan Maclin* - Harrisonburg
Social Justice Activist
- Evelyn Reid Syphax* - Arlington
Four high school student contest winners were also recognized during the ceremony. Each submitted a creative piece about their own experiences with social justice and how they have seen it impact discussions about race in the United States.
The winners of the 2020 Strong Men & Women in Virginia History student essay competition are:
- Tamia Booker - Petersburg
Appomattox Regional Governor's School
- Madisyn Ford - Chesapeake
Oscar Smith High School
- Zahria Ford – Loudoun
Rock Ridge High School
- Julie Thomas - Harrisonburg
Harrisonburg High School
Each student will receive an Apple MacBook Air laptop and $1,000 for their school.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
- Photos and biographies of this year's honorees are available at https://edu.lva.virginia.gov/changemakers/strong-mw-2021.
- Winning student essays http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/smw are available at https://edu.lva.virginia.gov/strong-men-women-in-virginia-history/student-essay-contest/student-essay-contest-winners/.
- Photos of the event will be posted on the Dominion Energy media downloads page at https://news.dominionenergy.com/community-smsw.
About Dominion Energy
More than 7 million customers in 16 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and to achieving net zero carbon dioxide and methane emissions from its power generation and gas infrastructure operations by 2050. Please visit DominionEnergy.com to learn more.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dominion-energy-and-the-library-of-virginia-honor-five-leaders-as-strong-men--strong-women-in-virginia-history-301237633.html
SOURCE Dominion Energy